Who knew that a person can have diabetes without displaying any symptoms? Guess what? It happened to me and I was able to reverse my diabetes in just 2 short months. Learn how you can reverse diabetes naturally.
Here is my story
When my the doctor told me in 1997 that I stand a great chance of getting diabetes later in life, I didn’t expect that 19 years later it would eventually come to pass.
Gestational Diabetes Diagnosis
In 1997, three weeks before I had my second son, I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I was sent to the hospital and was told that I could not go home until I gave birth. During that time I had to inject myself with insulin every day. That’s when I was told that diabetes could come back later in life. I immediately cut chocolate and other pastries from my diet.
Four years later I gave birth to my third and last son. All was well and I didn’t have any signs of diabetes. I was quite happy not having to take insulin or having blood works done every day.
Years go by and nothing …
After my divorce, in order to make ends meet, I had to get a second job. I explained about the job in a previous post. I worked 3 days a week on the evening shift (3 to 11 pm) and was provided a meal each day that I worked. The meal consists of Fries and fried wings. In addition to that, I was eating a fruit bowl because I wanted to eat healthily.
How did I develop Diabetes?
It seemed that I was the perfect candidate for diabetes. I had major risk factors for diabetes. Firstly, I am black and second I had two babies who weighed over 9lbs at birth. The shift in my diet with eating the fries and wings consistently for over 2 years and the fruit bowls which I thought were healthy were wreaking havoc on my blood sugar.
I always thought that you only develop diabetes if you eat a lot of sweets. I would later find out that everything we eat converts to sugar in our bodies.
I had none of the symptoms that a person with diabetes usually displayed but what I did have was a gut feeling that something was wrong.
I went and got my blood sugar tested and it was so high that the machine couldn’t read the level of sugar in my blood. It just displayed the word HIGH. I went to the doctor and I was given a few tests to do including an Hba1c test. This test shows the level of sugar in your blood for the past 2 to 3 months.
When the results came back, It was shocking! My Hba1c was 17.3. The doctor called me right away and told me I had to come immediately because I needed to be put on medication. She told me I run the risk of getting all sorts of health problems. She prescribed Metformin but up to this day, I have never taken even one dose.
I told myself I wasn’t going to take them because to me, those medications have too many side-effects.
Research Campaign on how to reverse my diabetes
I went on a research campaign on the internet to find strategies that could help to reverse diabetes naturally. What I found out is that diabetes can be reversed with food and diet. Youtube was my best friend and I was hooked on videos produced by Dr. Jason Fung.
Using what I learned, I developed a plan for reversing my diabetes. I followed this plan of action and two months after I redid the Hba1c test. It was 6.1! The doctor was amazed when she saw this and she told me I was no longer diabetic.
Strategies I used to Reverse Diabetes Naturally
Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor and the following is my experiences. The results may vary for you. Please do not stop taking your medications without consulting your doctor.
1. Stop using sugar– sugar is very high on the glycemic index and can increase your blood sugar very rapidly. I drank everything without sugar. Avoid drinking fruit juices and anything with high fructose corn sugar.
Be careful with the fruits that you eat as well because they are loaded with sugar even though it may be natural. It will convert very easily to sugar in the body. fruits that can be used include all types of berries.
Whenever I felt I needed something sweet I would use Truvia and Splenda Stevia which are natural plant-based sweeteners made from stevia. I also drank Zevia if I wanted a soda. It is sweetened with stevia as well and comes in many different flavours.
2. Cut out anything made with flour– these include bread, pasta, cereals and also rice. These are high in carbohydrates and converts very fast to sugar in your blood creating spikes. If you are like me and love bread a lot, you may be asking yourself how you are going to do this.
Trust me it wasn’t easy but you definitely can do. When you have an aversion to taking medication for the rest of your life you will be able to do anything. The eggplant was my go-to food when I felt I needed bread. I would cut it in slices and use as sliced bread.
Eventually I found low carb recipes using coconut flour and almond flour.
3. Eat vegetables that are grown above ground– These include lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, ochroes, broccoli, and cauliflower. These contain very little carbohydrates and would not convert into sugar as fast as vegetables like potatoes.
There are various recipes that show how to prepare vegetables such as broccoli for an entire meal. My favourite is zucchini which I would spiralize and use in place of noodles in pasta.
4. Use herbal teas– When I say herbal teas I mean using the leaves from various fruit trees to make a tea. My favourite to use were the leaves from the soursop, guava and raspberry tree. I would simply boil some water and pour over the leaves in the cup. I would also add a stick of cinnamon to get a sweet taste.
5. Drink 64oz of water per day– Drinking enough water daily is good for the body, especially for people with diabetes.
Incidentally, at first, I had difficulty drinking enough water. I used to think this was simple, but it was not.
There are a billion reasons, for me, I’m too lazy to get water when I’m thirsty. I find that the easiest way is to always keep a bottle of water near me all the time.
You can try out some great 64Hydro water tracker bottles
. I find them to have a very cute designs and even a time tracker, which is quite convenient.
6. Exercise for 1 hour at least 4 times a week– I would go for a walk every day from Monday to Thursday and on the other days, I used other forms of exercise like my gardening. Regular exercise helps to reduce the amount of sugar in the blood.
7. Follow Keto Diet– (High Fat Low Carb). Using this diet I was able to limit the number of carbohydrates that I consumed. The keto diet encourages the use of healthy fats and these fats do not convert easily to sugar.
I used avocado oil, olive oil, and coconut oil in my foods. Avocado and eggs are a good source of healthy fats and can easily be incorporated into any meal.
8. Intermittent Fasting– I would fast every other day by skipping breakfast on the days that I fasted. So if I ate three meals on Monday, then I would not eat anything again on Tuesday until 11 am. This practice of intermittent fasting has been proven to reduce sugar in the blood and give the pancreas time to heal in order to make insulin function the way it is supposed to.
9. Cut out snacking – snacking tends to keep your insulin levels high as there is no rest time between eating meals. When you cut out snacking you are able to prevent consistent presences of insulin. This will allow the excess sugar that is in your blood cells to find it’s way out.
10. Get diabetes testing kit– You should always know what your blood sugar levels are. Knowing the levels will help you to see how your body is reacting to the food that you are eating and help you to make adjustments accordingly. The testing kit I use is The Bayour Contour Next Diabetes Testing Kit, especially because it comes with all the supplies needed and lasts for a while.
In two months, doing all of the above I was able to reverse diabetes naturally. I am not guaranteeing that this will work for you because all of our bodies do not work the same but it is worth giving it a try or adding a strategy of your own especially if you are like me and do not want to use any form of medication.
Whatever you choose to do, remember that this is a lifestyle change and you would have to commit to doing it for the long hall.
If you have reversed your diabetes, what strategy/strategies did you use? Please share.
****If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to stay in the know and feel free to share with your friends.****
Original Post: https://antheasinspiringworld.com/2019/06/how-i-reversed-my-diabetes-in-2-months/